This week I have a great interview for you with Dr. Mick Ukleja! Dr. Ukleja is a Consultant, Teacher, and Writer who studies and teaches leadership and works extensively with Millennials as they are the future of the workforce.
Top Leadership Lessons that Dr. Mick Has Learned
- “Leadership is synonymous with becoming yourself. It is precisely that simple, and that difficult.” Warren Bennis. This means if you can’t lead yourself, you can’t lead others.
- Passion is a responsibility that we need to work on everyday. It includes mastering our moods. Life is about motion or movement. We have to get in the habit of acting before feeling, which prevents procrastination. Affirmation is a key to mastering moods and controlling our self talk. Our fears and doubts can be our allies, as it is God’s way of pointing out where we do not trust him.
- Fighting the ImposterSyndrome: this is a form of self talk that says: “if people really found out the truth about you they?would not think you are as smart or successful as you think you are.”
- Concentration is something you need to be brutal about. “Simplify to amplify.” Do whatever you can to eliminate clutter in your world to minimize distraction: make your bed, clear your desk, get rid of stuff you don’t need.
- The Ability to Self-Differentiate: knowing where you end and others begin. This is the?concept of togetherness and?separateness. Too much separation causes us to miss out on be connected to others and be “in the loop.” If we are too close to others we get enmeshed in other people and leads to mob psychology and not thinking on their own.
Dr. Ukleja recently read Simon Sinek’s Leaders Eat Last, which is about developing a circle of safety in your organization so you can concentrate on the real problems outside the organization.
One of the best pieces of advice Dr. Ukleja’s ever received was from John Wooden: “The moment your past becomes more exciting than your future is the day you start to die.”
Dr. Ukleja can be found at LeadershipTraq
Mick Ukleja is founder and president of LeadershipTraQ, a leadership-consulting firm based in California. He hosted LeadershipTraQ Televised, an interview-format talk show in Southern California that profiled outstanding leaders. He helped found the Ukleja Center For Ethical Leadership at California State University, Long Beach, the second largest university in the state. His book, Who Are You? What Do You Want? Four Questions That Will Change Your Life, has been praised by legendary coach John Wooden, Grand Slam golf champion Gary Player, and many prominent leaders and CEOs, as ?The one book to read that will immediately impact your life.? Mick has also co-authored two other books, The Ethics Challenge, and Managing the Millennials.
Mick has worked with entrepreneurs and corporate executives of businesses and organizations in the non-profit and for-profit sectors. He serves as Chairman of the Board of Trustees for the Astronauts Memorial Foundation at the Kennedy Space Center, which oversees the Center for Space Education. Mick holds a bachelor?s degree in philosophy, a master?s degree in Semitic languages, and a Ph.D. in theology. He received the President?s Distinguished Service Award from California State University, Long Beach in 2002, and in 2006, was named Distinguished Alumnus from the College of Liberal Arts.
Mick has been featured on Fox News, CNN, Fox Business Network, NBC, and in numerous publications. Click on this video to know more about LeadershipTraQ?s founder and President.